20140205

osaze set on reinvention

Nigerian striker, Peter Odemwingie insists he’s learnt his lessons after hogging the headlines for all the wrong reasons just over a year ago. The Super Eagles striker will always be remembered as the player who turned up at QPR to complete a transfer from West Brom, unaware talks between the two clubs had already broken down. To general amusement and bewilderment, Odemwingie had to go back to The Hawthorns in a bid to repair his relationship with the Baggies. The former Bendel Insurance man did go on to make another seven appearances but it was clear Odemwingie had no future at the Midlands club prompting a summer move to Cardiff City. He was on the move again in January as he sealed a move to Stoke City but the 32-year-old said he never wanted to repeat the same mistakes he made a year earlier. "Absolutely it was different. This time I made sure everything was right. Everyone had spoken, including the managers, but I said I would be the last to confirm. "It wasn't until the last piece of paperwork was done, just before I got on the plane to Sunderland, that I put up the picture of me with my Stoke shirt. You can't blame me for that," he told SkySports. He also discussed his ill fated decision to unsuccessfully push a move to QPR while insisting that the reports following the incident were “exaggerated.” "We all learn in life. The episode was a bit exaggerated, but I read an interview with Gareth Barry, whose move (to Everton) was done at the last minute, and he said he stayed away from the ground until he knew his move was going through because of what happened to me. "I'm happy to serve as an example for players to avoid it because afterwards it was a bit stressful," he said. Odemwingie has already made his debut for Stoke City in the 2-1 win over Manchester United at the Britannia Stadium last Saturday. The forward revealed how he’s been settling in at his new surroundings. "Apparently, it is a tradition for new players here to sing a song on your first away trip. I'm learning from Peter Crouch, so I will go for a Michael Jackson song, with a little dance at the end. "It's a great dressing room with a lot of jokes, so I can't escape. "I'm happy to have more time to prepare and know the boys more, so it will not be so embarrassing," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment